General

A place for discussions about anything

WWKP Who has the banner??? banner@kiteaerialphoto.org

Comments

• Please do add your arrows Guys.
  • Remember to post an image of your final signatures!
  • Thanks Puffin, on behalf of all who will be there at the banner handover.

Fly High

Sue
  • SueSue
    edited July 2013

A group of us went to Cairnpapple Hill for a fly in for the handover of the WWKP banner from James Gentles to Keiren.

Cairnpapple Hill WWKP flying the banner at the handover

Untitled

It was about F4 +. I flew my power sled 14, James a delta John Wells a flowform and another smaller flow form was used as well. Simon Harbord flew his silly putty rig on that one.
    As I was bringing in the Power Sled, the wind increased - as it always seems to - it popped a spar and landed in the next field. My rig landed safely, rescued by Simon, and James rescued the kite for me. John very kindly gave me another PS 14 in case I needed it during the rest of my holiday. Thanks again John.
    We then had a delicious meal at The Park Bistro nearby and parted with "See you in France at KAPiFrance 125"

It was great to meet up with this Scottish branch of the KAP movement and a great (almost)end to my holiday.

Fly High

Sue
  • As above.
    James, Kieran, Simon, John and Sue
  • I'm really glad that you all got together for the banner handover!!!
    That represents very well the spirit of this project!
    Thank you all for your participation!! and don't forget to post all the pictures where the banner appears in the WWKP Flickr group.
    Regards
    Ramiro
  • Great pic, John!
  • edited June 2013
    The photo was taken by my son Cade, KAPer number 6.
    A repeat shot with Cade at the right, with trainee Tom:
    Jim Knowles wanted to be there too but he had to work.
  • edited June 2013
    And the KAP shot with everyone in it...
    Cairnpapple Burial Mound
    Mound: James, Kieran, Simon, Sue, John
    Foreground: Cade, Thomas.
  • Great shot James ;o)
  • Here are some of my photos with the banner. I didn't get very far from home but had some nice weather opportunities to dash out and get some shots in my local area. Next the banner is headed west to Robert.

image image image image

I blogged about my time with the banner here: topofly.blogspot.com

All best wishes,
    Kieran
  • Tony. Stanley Melbourne Australia here. I did register years ago for the banner . Are there.many registered this side of the world ? Thanks
  • If you look at the WWKP map, there are 3 in Australia, and another relatively close by in French Polynesia. When I say relatively close, I mean in the same hemisphere. Maybe after it crawls through England, we can send it down under.
  • Cool. Hoping to be a part of the chain someday... Is there a way to find out where I am on the list?
  • Just checking.... is there any kaper from the UK that has not yet participated in the WWKP?
    If so, please send an email to banner@kiteaerialphoto.org
    Thanks!
    Ramiro
  • SueSue
    edited July 2013
    Martin Roe near Leeds, UK
    Peter Neville near Manchester, UK
    John Williams near Birmingham, UK ( near Puffin)
    Bruce, Gareth Williams & Dave Beeson near London, UK are all on the "waiting" list on the map
    I hope this helps

Fly High

Sue
  • It would be good if the banner could be at KAPiFRANCE 125 in October.

Fly High

Sue
  • edited August 2013
    The Banner arrived at Big Low on Tuesday, today I had a fantastic time with scorching temperatures and a steady wind. I decided to stay at home to KAP. Here's a couple of images but I'll put the rest up on Flickr as soon as. Some IR images too.

Peter.

Father's Dwelling Banner @ FD Banner with Big Low in background signature on Banner
  • edited August 2013
    Here are some of the IR images from the same session. Note I've adjusted the blue and red channels (reversed them). To give a more pleasing tone. The other plus to these images is that the IR has all but cleaned up the haze. On one of the images you can see the Beetham Tower in the centre of Manchester. It's the one with the long contrail crossing the image diagonally.

kite aerial IR image kite aerial IR image kite aerial IR image kite aerial IR image
  • Is it on its way soon to Kent?
  • It arrived in Kent this morning ;-)) Have a good time flying.

Peter.
  • We had the Banner at Woodchurch in Kent on Sunday then a cricket Match made us up Kites and move to Appledore a few miles away, I took some photos at Woodchurch and I think Gareth ( Pitprops ) also did and again at Appledore.

Len.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/len_in_kent/sets/72157634954518523/
  • A couple from Appledore in Kent.

wwkp banner

Worldwide KAP project banner comes to Appledore
  • Today I managed to sneak off work early and take the banner to the ruins of Thurnham Castle in Kent. This nestles high on the North Downs overlooking Detling. The ruins are in a small area so my KAP session was going to be tricky to say the least. After about 6 attempts, I got my kite airborne without snagging the undergrowth. Stability was a problem with the gentle breeze blwoing across the downs and the site being surrounded by trees. The final problem was going to be landing. In such a small working area, getting everything back to the ground safely was going to be "interesting". Whilst many of the images were blurred, there were enough to make the trip worthwhile.

IMG_1166

IMG_1143
  • edited August 2013
    Over the weekend Pitprops kindly brought the WWKP Banner along to Teston Kite Festival in Kent
    Its a small but well attend event. http://kiteability.co.uk/
    The banner was soon up at the Bridge and my rig was duly lofted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teston_Bridge

During the rest of the weekend many more KAP missions took place all over the site.
    Thanks Pitprops for Bringing the banner along.
  • Excellent pictures!!! Please don't forget to post them in the Flickr WWKP group!!!
    Ramiro
  • @Toadstone
    It was good to see your home WITHOUT all the SNOW you took photos of in the spring

Fly High

Sue
  • @Sue. I couldn't agree more Sue, it's been one of the best summers we've had since being here. Hopefully it will continue, September can be good if we get a high pressure with easterly winds. ;-))
    The Heritage Weekend is fast approaching might try and get over to Magpie Mine again this year, weather permitting!
    Peter
  • What is " Heritage Weekend"?
    Is it a local or global event?

Fly High

Sue
  • What is " Heritage Weekend"?
    Is it a local or global event?
    It takes place in the UK every September, this year 12th-15th. To quote from their About page
    Heritage Open Days celebrates England’s fantastic architecture and culture by offering free access to places that are usually closed to the public or normally charge for admission. - See more at: http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/about#sthash.6xLhNYKN.dpuf
    PDHMS usually man the Magpie Mine on the Saturday as part of it.

Peter.