KAP Gear Sources

Our KAP activities have spawned ingenious and affordable products to make KAPing easier and/or more enjoyable. Post/Find information on KAP-worthy products here.

Carp poles

Comments

• I have both a carbon fibre 11m and fibreglass 8m poles,

If I am going to go hiking I usually take the 8m pole, simply because when packed away it is shorter and more manageable

11metre carbon fibre pole, packs down to 1.62metres - (Ron Thompson - Muscle Zone)

8metre fibreglass pole, packs down to 1.17m - (Grandeslam - Energie 8m Pole)
  • Decathlon is selling supplies for all sort of sports; they have their own designers and their own trademarks. This is where I bought my first carbon put over pole, in 1998. Caperlan is their trade mark for fishing accessories.
    I went to Decathlon here in Cherbourg, France, and had a look to the long pole Caperlan Geopole classic 11m.
    It has 8 sections, is light and wall thickness is thin. It will be possible to use 5 sections and half of the 6th until mid-length where diameter will be only 10 or 9mm.
    The sections are some of the longest one I have ever seen: the package is between 1,9 and 2m.
    I have a pole which has same thin wall thickness and I found it very fragile and flexible. You feel you could crashed it just pressing it in your hand. With the Ricoh GX100 plus the wide angle additional lens, the total weigth with the cradle is 620g and it is its limit. The top section of the pole is Ø9 mm.
    I have another pole which is heavier 1,4kg instead of 1,1kg with increased wall thickness and is stiffer.
    Let me recommend another one , Sensas X40, 11m. See here:

The lower section is 152cm but can be shortened a bit because it is 10cm longer than any other section. So it can be less than 150cm for shipping at low cost

It can be found for about 125Euros. I got it at Mondial Peche shop. :
  • edited August 2009
    I can perhaps offer a little hope to those in the US who are interested in acquiring an 11m carbon fibre carp pole for PAP. On my way to Tahiti and New Zealand in October I'm stopping for a night in LA. Some time back I tentatively (I stress the "tentatively") offered to Broox to hand-carry a package of 11m poles and drop them off in LA.

Be aware that nothing is definite. At most I'd carry 7 poles (as was done a few years ago). The cost of a pole in the UK is between £80-£100 ($130-$165) + whatever it costs for delivery to my home plus I might also have to pay an excess baggage charge (given the length of the package) and you'll have to pay Broox transport costs within the US. Even so, I guess we're looking at less that $200 per pole in total.
  • I received an email from tackle2u (http://www.tackle2u.com/prods/pc8.html) and they are willing to ship to the US. I am talking to them about shipping 4 13m Ron Thompson Power Tool which they estimate to be about $50(UK) for shipping. My plan is to get them shipped then try and sell 3 to fellow KAP/PAP folks here. There are some Grandeslam Formula 11m Poles on their site I may add to my order. I would like to see if anyone is interested in the 3 13m poles I want shipped or to add to the order. I live in CA 95050 so please consider how these poles will get to you when I get them.
  • Walt

that's a fantastic deal! I used UPS to ship the same pole to the USA for David Zinniker (Tgran) - it cost
  • Walt,

That is a great deal. Maybe Broox could help out as he's relatively local.

The initial courier Marcus (at tackle2U) found was
  • I hate to be a party-pooper, but I've got more than enough to keep me busy with KAP gear now that it's March, and my Manfrotto stand is enough for my personal use.

Sounds like a great deal though!
  • Just heard back from Tackle2u and their new shipping price will be
  • My pole arrived Saturday, but I was in Napa for the weekend. I missed the post office hours by 3 minutes on Monday. I finally picked up the pole and had a chance to take a few shots late in the evening today. http://www.flickr.com/photos/37166068@N00/sets/72157623558413767/

Folks, thefishingguys dot com have poles here in the US. I know Hahnz has a 12.5 meter, 10 sections, 890 grams pole ready to ship.

Contact info:
    Hahnz Teope
    The Fishing Guys
    1441 Spruce Ave.
    Hanover Park, IL 60133
    224-489-7786
    630-736-0776 FAX
  • I just checked out thefishingguys.com website. Yes, the 12.5 m. pole is $400. Their website is a mess. The only way to get to the 12.5m pole that worked for me was the "new items" option. Forget the search option. I even tried IE instead of Chrome. Their website developer has lots of work to do.

They have some interesting carp pole fittings that could be adapted for PAP: pole pots and flexible connectors. They might eliminate the need for special PAP engineering--or not.

It's a nice development for carp poles to be more readily available in the U.S. Price is a major issue for me, though.

I wonder how well a 42-foot carp pole would work for fly fishing. It might get some stares when seen on a wilderness lake in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. Watch that backcast!
  • Yes, the site needs some updating. Here are the direct links:
    9.5m http://thefishingguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=124
    12m http://thefishingguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=123

I also included Hahnz' contact info in my earlier post. I just want folks here in the US an opportunity to buy a pole for PAP. PokyTom, what pole pots and flexible connectors are you thinking will work for PAP? I connect my camera via an ultrapod strapped to the top tip of my pole.
  • Sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical beyond stating that the U.S. price has to come down in my opinion. If demand lures multiple importers to stock carp poles, we win.

The pole pots look like a nice way to terminate the pole at various thicknesses. Other than that, I have no specific ideas. I just see parts and think that I might use them some day for whatever. I've been doing a lot of that this week. I come up with a solution and then I try to see ways to simplify it. If I can buy a simple part that keeps me from making one, that's fantastic.

I bought 2 nibblers today at Harbor Freight for $7 each. The one that can start inside a 3/8" hole is really fun on 1/16" aluminum. The other one starts on the edge of the material. I'm not sure that I will use it much but for $7, what the heck.
  • I'm new to Pole Photography, and have been trying to find equipment online. These guys are based in Staten Island, NY, and seem to have a good range of 8m - 16m telescoping carbon fibre poles:

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-12-16.htm
  • Interesting. I was not aware of these poles when I bought my 13m. pole a few months ago. The main difference appears to be that these are telescoping poles. Mine is assembled by stacking the segments. The prices seem good and the shipping is certainly good. My main question is whether the thinnest sections, not likely to be useful for PAP, can be easily removed from the setup. If so, then these poles might be a reasonable option for PAP. Of course, there is the concern that the telescoping segments might collapse at an inconvenient time. I believe that the poles are used in the horizontal position for fishing, not elevated much.
  • edited August 2010
    Rick

Most of us use 'put-over' rather than telescoping poles. For PAP, a 'put-over' pole can't collapse when held vertically (since the bottom end of each section fits OVER the top end of the next larger one). A telescopic one can unless it locks pretty tightly. This is not a problem for fishing (since the pole is rarely vertical) but is with PAP (often vertical with a heavy camera at the top).

The other point is that for PAP it's necessary to discard the top segments - while fine for fishing they are too narrow and bendy to support a camera. Typically it needs to be about 1cm in diameter at the top to support a point-and-shoot camera. It's not clear from the pictures at that website how many segments you'd need to discard, but I'd say at least 6 of the 16 (maybe more), which means that a 40' pole would have a usable length of 40*10/16 = 25'.

It's worth explaining to the guys at allfishingbuy.com how you intend to use the pole and asking (a) how easy it is for the poles to collapse and (b) which section has a diameter of less than 1cm.
  • I tried to encourage these guys to import put-over poles a while back. They're aware of PAP but their supplier doesn't carry them.

I agree with Dave that the telescoping pole sound a little scary and I think the taper on these poles is pretty gentle -- so you would lose quite a few sections for PAP.
  • Once I had a torch on a 6m telescopic pole reduced to 4.6 Normally I tape all sections but one have been forgotten. All sections collapsed after a while.
    Before that I taped the sections with the tape overlapping both sections. Now there is one turn of the tape on the smaller section just over the lower one and another turn overlapping both.
    Even This is safe I have only put over poles for overhanging photography.
    Details on my processings on becot.info pole pages.
  • I just posted a review of a camera adapter for standard painter's poles. It's geared toward the use of dSLRs, but might be useful for those interested in trying PAP but unable to easily get hold of a suitable carbon pole.

http://ostro.ced.berkeley.edu/~crisr/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=2867&page=1#Item_1
  • Great tips everyone, thanks!
  • Yes I read your post.
    In Europe most houses are built with stones and concrete. There is no need to paint the outside walls often. So the painter pole is not a common tool and it's hard to find.

On poles usually 1.5 m are discarded to get a
  • I wonder if electrical utility poles might be available in Europe. They are probably heavier than painters poles and more expensive but it seems that European utilities would use them about the same way as U.S. utilities do. I've noticed a few real estate photographers employing utility poles successfully.
  • Christian - if you look at the photos of the telescopic poles Rick mentions (e.g. here, you'll see that they have a large number of sections (16 or more) and the cross-section gets very narrow after about 9-10. I think you'd have to discard more than 1.5m. Looking again, I see that a 40' pole has an extended length of 36' (the 4' reduction is due to overlap). I agree that 1.5m is all you lose on a put-over pole.
  • edited August 2010
    A friend found an 11 meter carp pole available for about $150 shipped to North America. Is anybody familiar with this pole and/or vendor? Does it have what it takes to be a decent PAP pole?

http://www.tackle2u.com/prods/grandeslam-carbo-competition-11m-pole-only-5999-half-price-bargain.html
  • That's interesting. My Ron Thompson 13m. Power Tool came from tackle2u, too, but it is no longer among their offerings. I can't speak for the 11m. pole, Michael, but it would be fantastic if tackle2u eased up on the shipping costs for all poles. (Not that I am in the market anyway.)
  • The vendor's fine Michael. I know nothing of the Grandeslam but they are also selling the Ron Thompson Gangster pole for
  • edited August 2010
    Yes Dave, the discarded length of the poles of this Allfishing.com page can be much greater http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-12-16.htm
    Anyway telescopic poles are not recommended for elevation photography.

There are other features that I should have mentionned earlier for choosing a pole. These are the base section diameter, the wall thickness and the fiber strength/elongation modulus.
    These give the pole more stiffness or more flexibility. The larger the diameter, the thicker, the higher the modulus and the stiffer the pole will be. Usually higher modulus are used to make lighter poles with lesser wall thickness, so the stiffness is not really changed.

If looking at the diameters of the base of the nine 12m poles shown on the allfishing.com page they range from 33 to 37.5 mm. If compared to my poles
  • You're right Christian. I had not noticed that the Grandeslam was a composite pole. That makes the Ron Thompson Gangster (which is a pure 11m carbon pole) a much better buy - only
  • Wow - you guys sure know your carp poles!
    Thank you very much to everyone for all of the excellent advice - I have just purchased the Ron Thompson Gangster from tackle2u, which they will ship to North America (Canada, in my case) for
  • Good morning All,
    Unfortunately, tackle2u has just informed me that they are no longer shipping large items (including carp poles) to North America.
  • edited August 2010
    I think that is at least the third time they've explored shipping poles to the US and given up. They do seem to do prompt business within the UK.

They might learn something from Dave Mitchell. I think they are afraid to branch out to different shipping companies or afraid of insuring safe delivery or it's just too much work for them.