KAP Cameras

Contemporary KAPpers use cameras ranging from single use film cheapies to Digital SLRs. Use this category to tell us what you use and why or to pose questions on matters photographic.

New camera

Hey guys

Been out of KAP for the last year or so due to illness, but getting back to it now. I am looking at changing the S100 as its getting quite old now, and I am looking for alternatives. I want something that would be similar in size to the s100, and similar weight....I was wondering if the sony rx100 has been used much in KAP? Noticed its a 1 inch sensor, and is only 300 grams...

Look forward to any opinions, cheers!

Comments

• Ok...edit...its not a one inch sensor:

1"-type Exmor CMOS sensor (13.2 x 8.8mm, 3:2 aspect ratio)
  • Sony A5000

I've found it to be an excellent KAP camera. If you have a bigger budget then the A6000 is a beast.

Ebay UK has plenty 2nd hand right now.

An intervalometer app can be bought from the Sony Playmemories site (if that is still what it is called) and ported into the camera's software.

• Hey...thanks for the suggestion. What kite do you lift it with? Seems pretty heavy once the lens is added...
  • Pick a kite to suit the wind!
    PFK 6ft delta
    11ft 'Shazam' delta
    FF16
    FF30
    7' Rok

I guess it double the weight of S100?
  • Look into the Ricoh GR, it has a APS-C sensor and very light in weight. The quality of the images are excellent and has a built- in intervalometer (will do time-lapse photography.
  • I’m still a big fan of the Sony NEX-7. It’s older and easy to find for a good price. Pretty comparable to the a6500 and for a lot less money.
  • I started using the Sony A5000 last year. So far so good. Seems to be a good camera considering price/weight/photo quality.
  • edited April 2018
    I just composed a version of this post, and thenb THE ENTIRE THING DISAPPEARED. Yay, Me. {It is ALSO late, after 23:00 local time here currently. It MIGHT have just been operator error.}

Regarding non-Canon cameras like the Sony A5000, since CHDK and SDM do not work on them, what do you use for shutter control? A micro-servo to push the shutter button? I mean, is that 'standard'?

Up until my A570IS QUIT several months ago, I have used it with CHDK for controlling the camera. My rig previously used a Sony digital camera with a servo to press the shutter. I LIKE the "convenience" of having CHDK and NOT having to use an extra servo for shutter-pushing. And since I had CHDK to 'do everything', I have not had to deal with any other type of {whatever} to control the camera.

Thanks in advance....

• edited April 2018
    CG-

I've been eyeing various Sonys. If you can look away from the ease and simplicity of CHDK and SDM, take a look at
    what James Gentles has on his site, Gentles Ltd.. I believe you can find anything you need to make a Sony fly.
    Most of what he produces is actually easier to use from-the-get-go than messing witch cards and downloads
    ( Not to take ANYTHING away from SDM etc. that Dave and David and others have so masterfully brought to us ).

If it were not for James' ingenious devices, my world of KAP would look very different, if exist at all.

NOTEs TO CRIS: 1st: Hello, friend !

2nd: ANY CHANCE OF PUTTING A LINK ON OUR PAGE FOR JAMES, SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU DO FOR
    BROOKS, AND KAP SHOP, ALL OF WHOM DESERVE, AND EARN, OUR SUPPORT..

3rd: Thanks again for all you do to and for this site. Long may it wave !!!

Paul

• edited April 2018
    @PaulCostelloe -- THANKS!

I think I had FORGOTTEN just how many products JG carries for non-Canon cameras. {Really.}

At least, I THINK that I forgot. I don't remember for sure...

;~)º

• Anyone know if the A5100 is just as good as the A5000? Mainly if it has any faults that the A5000 does not have?

{As always, Thanks In Advance!}
  • FWIW: I purchased a Sony 5100 a while back...👍👍