Kites

Gather notes and questions about our lifters here -- types, tuning, pros and cons

The PFK Super Kite

Although my injured PFK Nighthawk received a good repair a couple of months ago I wanted to get a new one. Given the cost of shipping 12,000 miles from New Zealand isn't cheap, I thought I'd also buy a PFK Super Kite too to justify the postage (flawed logic?).

The weather has been pretty trashy for a long time so today was one of the first opportunities to give the Super Kite its maiden flight. Below I share a video of it in-flight along with observations.

I'm not sure how many Super Kite owners there are out there (Pierre, Jim?) but would welcome any thoughts on swapping the traditional wooden spreader for an 8mm carbon one. My old Nighthawk received a carbon spreader transplant 9 years ago and it was a total success. I see no reason why the smaller Super Kite would be negatively affected by the same treatment.

imageNew carbon spar for the mighty Kiwi delta" alt="" title="" />

Comments

• Kevin-
    It seems to me I read somewhere that the purpose of the wooden of the wooden spreader is kind of
    like a shear pin on a piece of farm equipment.
    As I recall, if the kite goes under water, the spreader will snap allowing retrieval of the rest of the kite.
    So depending upon how much " under water flying " you plan, I would think replacing the spreader
    would not be a bad move.

Paul

• Kevin, I have been flying the Nighthawk and the Super Delta for at least the past 15 years and never thought of replacing the wooden spreader with a carbon one. Once flying from a boat, my Nighthawk took a deep dive in the water (no camera attached) and with a single hard pull when the kite was under water, I could break the spreader and bring the kite back on board. When the wind is very strong both kites tend to react like wipers…maybe a fuzzy tail could help. The most crazy KAP session with a super delta was in the Arctic with 45-50 knots of wind and we managed to even make a panorama…