KAP Cameras

Contemporary KAPpers use cameras ranging from single use film cheapies to Digital SLRs. Use this category to tell us what you use and why or to pose questions on matters photographic.

A Question - Thermal Infrared Camera

Hi all!
Does anyone have any experience with thermal (true) infrared cameras? The likes of FLIR one or Seek Thermal?
We have an opportunity to observe a pack of wolves when the snow covers the area, and we'd like to use a kite to record them.
The ideal specs are 320 x 240 resolution or higher, range of 150 m, and, of course, cheap :-)

Comments

• edited November 8

The Seek I had was useless, go for the Flir One and tape it to the phone.
    I have two 320x240 Flir PathFindIRs and they are nowhere near as good as the lower resolution Flir One.
    For those unaware of my page: http://www.armadale.org.uk/aerialthermography.htm
    150m is possibly a bit high but may be OK.
    My routine UK CAA permission is 122m maximum (specifically 400ft).

• Thanks!

Yes, FLIR one is cool because it puts together a visual and an infrared photo and thus 'fakes' a higher resolution - but that won't work at night because there would be noting on the visual photo ...

We take 150 m distance from the camera to the wildlife as a maximum, as we wouldn't be shooting straight down.