Had an epiphany? Stepped in a metaphorical cow pie? Share the experience here.
Tree Time - Part Two of Two
Part 2 of 2 ...
Reality and the wind gods had different ideas……
Facts have a way of distorting the best laid plans of men….and of kite recoveries….
What happened next…
- A lull came….
- Called my wife….
- Who cut the kite line with a pair of scissors …
- Then nothing…..the kite kept flying in the lull….
- Not enough pull during the lull from the delta kite on the cut line to overcome the friction of the kite line wrapped around the tree…
- Kite and line remained stuck in the tree 100 feet off the ground…. Darn….
- The wind speed picks up
- The increased force from the delta kite begins to pull the line slowly up with the kite gaining altitude….bit by bit….higher …. and higher into the sky….
- The wind speed continues to gain strength and the delta is pulling harder …. and harder…. Flying higher into the darkening skies above….
- The strategy of dropping the kite into a small open space window next to the tree during a lull…..was rapidly evaporating….into the thin air high above the tree…..
- Higher and higher the kite flew….till the end of the now cut kite line freed itself from the top of the tree….
- The delta kite was now flying free about 400 feet above the trees dragging about 400 feet of kite line with it as it drifted rapidly downwind in gusty air with me running after it loosing all hope of ever seeing this kite again…
- I watched in despair as the delta kite disappeared over the horizon flying free over a forest, power lines and a busy road….
- I pulled out my cell phone and snapped a few pictures as it floated away in the wind…..
- Certainly this was a low point for me….after putting three different kites into trees during 2020 …. I was hoping for better times in 2021….
- Kite flyers….are a hopeful and fearless breed…. I needed both of these characteristics on this day….
- I decided not to give up hope ….. next steps….
- Taking the snap shot of my last sighting of the kite and pulling out google maps and estimating direction of flight and distance traveled….I put together a rough ideas of where the kite may have drifted down after I lost sight of it.
- I raced back to my home and got in my car and drove off in the general direction of where the kite disappeared.
- I drove in wooded neighborhoods with power lines looking for any signs of the kite or kite line in the darkening skies. I was hoping the kite line may have snagged on a tree, powerline or structure with the kite remaining in the air where I might get it back.
- After 15 minutes of searching there was no sign of the lost kite….
- My emotions were down and spent….as I was getting ready to head home….I prayed a brief farewell prayer for the lost kite and headed home….
- Prayers do get answered….as I turned the corner to head home the headlights of my car picked up the shape of the delta kite sitting plainly in the front yard of a home almost 3000 feet from my home!
- I was able to recover the lost kite with no damage. I was also able to recover all the kite onto my spare Stratospool that I keep in the car.
Pure miracle that I was able to recover this fine kite!
Perhaps….just perhaps….2021 will be a better year on a number of fronts!
Below are a photo showing last view of the kite and few google map snap shots showing:
- Tie off point and tree that trapped the kite
- Rough open space I was hoping to drop the kite into
- Ultimate landing point 2700 feet away.
Keep flying and fly safe!
Avoid flying kites near trees.....