Control Systems

Camera control technologies range from Silly Putty to radio systems -- gather your notes on how to set up the cradle here

Trouble using ASSIST

SueSue
edited January 7 in Control Systems

I have a Canon Powershot 480 on which I would like to install SDM or CHDK.
ASSIST tries to open then disappears.
I can use an old Windows 10 Pro version 1909 and a newer Windows 10 version 20H2.
Please help.
Trying to Fly High
Sue

Comments

• Hi Sue,
    I also experienced some troubles with desktop while the laptop is OK with assist.
    Unfortunately, I cannot help with this issue specifically but could maybe suggest an option
    https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13091.0;attach=16014
    This is a windows program that can install both SDM and CHDK.
    alternative tip maybe, a bit more tricky: in case you already have a prepared card, you could only cut/past (and replace ) the diskboot.bin file with the one dedicated to your camera/hack used... if you can define it ? Most of my cards have multiple diskboot files with a dedicated extension. eg diskboot.SDMS100102A . when i need to change camera and/or hack, I just rename the needed file to diskboot.bin to use it as boot file.

Hope this will help flying high ;-)

• Sue - it's hard to diagnose your problem without seeing what appears (and disappears) on your screen. Does ASSIST leave a log file (assistlog.txt) in the folder where the ASSIST app is? If so could you email it to me? I presume you are starting ASSIST using by double-clicking the assistx.cmd file in order to give the app permission to modify the card.
    Dave

• OK I installed SDM using Chimp as michel2e suggested. It all installed easily and works.
    It always starts up in easy modes. Is there any way to start it up in another mode?
    I found KAP modes 1,2 &3. How do you make it take shots all the time till I stop it (or the battery runs out?)
    Can I install CDHK on the same card?
    Thanks for your input. See you all soon on KAPiZOOM ?
    Fly High
    Sue

• OK It all installed easily and works.
    good
    It always starts up in easy modes. Is there any way to start it up in another mode?
    afai remember, depending on your camera, you have an alt button allowing entering/ leaving the SDM mode and in alt mode a long press on menu allows entering SDM Menu
    I found KAP modes 1,2 &3. How do you make it take shots all the time till I stop it (or the battery runs out?)
    shame on me, i always use the same script loading by default as soon as camera is powered on.
    maybe a look into the manual ? sdm.camera/support.html
    Can I install CDHK on the same card?
    huuuumm depends on what you mean by install. I'm not sure I should recommend this publicly as usual ...own risks ...;-)
    but, once you have a card ready to use (= prepared) for SDM, you have on it the folders for SDM and some files on the root directory, including the diskboot.bin file.
    rename it to diskboot.bin.sdm (or any name you like, but easy to refer to ;-)
    then download the chdk files from the relevant camera. unzip them all to the same card. you'll then have the files/folders for CHDK including a (other) diskboot.bin Rename it to diskboot.bin.chdk
    with such card now you have all necessary files for both hacks. but none of the biskboot can start as they are renamed.
    when you need the SDM/CHDK to start jsut rename the corresponding boot file to original name diskboot.bin
    you can mix multiple cameras / hacks on the same cards, are they usually have different .cfg files.
    You are able to launch, of course, only one hack for one camera as you only have one "real" booting diskboot.bin
    this is the files i keep for my sdm card for multiple cameras.

A good opportunity to thanks again to all developers who made it possible -