Member Profiles

Tell us about yourself

How do I edit my Members Photo ?

edited October 2013 in Member Profiles
BT Broadband, my ISP pull my web space so I've lost my photos from my discussions. How do I update the link to a new site such as flickr, can't seem to edit my profile picture to a new address ~ help

Comments

• This is me, not very good ~ but just making sure I can post from Flickr

Me
  • edited October 2013
    Our forum software, which I generally like, has exhibited curious behavior in the posting of member's profile photos. Some members seem to have this option, others not. As admin I can post photos for some accounts but not for others. I cannot change my own member photo. Go figure. I have tried to figure out a fix but to no avail. Other sites using the forum software have reported similar issues.

Click on your member name in the right sidebar to see details on your account. If the left sidebar of that page (top) contains a "change picture" link then you can post your own photo. If not, you can send me a small, square jpg along with your username and I can try to post it for you. (crisp xx berkeley xx edu)
  • Hmmm, strange behavior. I can't change my picture as well (I set it when forum was running on previous version of software and It got migrated).

Maybe I'd be of some help. It's not easy to do remotely as I did previously, when I prepared custom scripts to make forum to adjust display width to browser window and to highlight already accessed threads but with new content using different shade of yellow that untouched threads. But, I'm moving to SF Bay area in a couple of weeks, so I might take a look personally, without 9 hours time difference and stuff.

rgds
    \Seb
  • Hey Sebastian -

Moving to the Bay Area, that's fine news. Where will you be living?

Cris
  • @admin:
    In Mountain View or immediate surroundings.
  • Hello, I cannot change my profile picture as well. It looks like it does accept my picture, but after uploading it still shows blank. I have tried several formats and sizes, but without luck. For example I have tried 150x150px JPEG as I have seen that this is the format/size of other forum members. Not a big deal of course, but if there is a simple solution I would like to hear :-)
  • Chris posted this when I couldn't update my profile photo last week.
    "adminadmin
    July 5
    @Sue - you can send me a small, square jpg along with your username and I can try to post it for you. (crisp xx berkeley xx edu). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

And after Chris had managed to update my photo :-(
    "I was able to sort out the profile photo posting issue using a slightly awkward workaround. The issue, it seems, is related to permissions for the server folder where the profile photos are stored. The college's server is under constant siege by script kiddies and assorted bad actors. This has led to restrictions on folder permissions (rock). Our Vanilla forum software wants more liberal access (hard place).

My workaround is to liberalize permissions for a brief period, manually place the profile photo, and then restore the more restrictive permissions. I cannot leave the permissions open indefinitely for "self service" profile photo posting. If you send me a photo I can do the posting. Best to size it to 300 pixels square.

Regarding Sue's comment about the "new - improved version" of our forum software. I rather liked the previous version of our Vanilla software and would have been quite happy to continue its use. Instead, we were forced to upgrade software by rather large increases in spamming and hacking attempts, by college policy, and by the college's move a third party server. None of these issues were much fun nor was the relatively complex process of implementing new software.

A while back the Vanilla developers bifurcated their software into two versions. Vanilla Cloud is a hosted, for-profit venture that offers considerable convenience and is tailored to commercial enterprises. Vanilla Open Source is the free, sort-things-out-yourself version that we are using. The entry level version of Vanilla Cloud is $200 / month, which is why we are using Vanilla Open Source. I know that there are a couple of quirks with this version of the forum software but both it and the server space are provided for our use pro bono. Given that context I think it runs reasonably well."

Hope this helps

Fly High

Sue