Member Profiles

Tell us about yourself

Eric Wolf (profile)

edited February 2006 in Member Profiles
I started my adventure in aerial photography about four years ago. I received a small grant from the University of Tennesse at Chattanooga, where I was finishing my BS in Math, to attempt to build an aerial photography system. Of course, I didn't do a great job on my lit review and reinvented several wheels along the way.

My original goal was to create an aerial monitoring platform. It had an entire mini-ITX based PC and camera. The idea was it could be hooked up to other sensors as well. It camera was controlled remotely via an 802.11b connection to the PC and a USB connection to the camera.

BAP Rig #1

It didn't work very well because my balloon, a 7-foot advertising balloon filled with helium, only provided 7 lbs of lift and it weighed 5 lbs. I was using power-line for the tether to power the PC. It never got more than about 100ft off the ground.

My second attempt replaced the PC with a Radio Shack A/V signal sender which provided video downlink and IR shutter release - all for $99 - available at your local Radio Shack dealer.

BAP Rig #2

The biggest drawback to this system was that in "RF noisy" enviroments, you only get about 100ft of range from the IR retransmitter. I've been looking into stepping up the power of the amplifier in the transmitter - but progress gets in the way.

This rig was lost with my Olympus C-2020-Z and Hoya R72 filter setup for NIR photography when the tether I was using "melted". I now buy good kite line from Into the Wind...

Bye bye balloon...

I got my first kite, a FlowForm 30, right before X-Mas 2005. I'd never experienced such a kite before and now I look forward to windy days! My first time out with it, I wrapped the line around a simple L-bracket I made for the Olympus 410. That was stupid! The kite flew well but the camera fell about 300 feet and landed in a parking lot. My GentleAuto survived and I ordered an Olympus Stylus 800 that night. I also ordered the parts to build a real picavet.

Olympus 800 in KAP Rig #1
This rig worked great with both the balloon:

Tennessee Aquarium

And the FlowForm 30:

St. Pete Beach

But I could never leave well-enough alone and built a 100g-lighter rig:

Pentax S55 in KAP Rig #2

I also bought a Pentax S55 with the hopes of eventually building a servo-positioning system. But that'll come later.

Right now, I am using KAP/BAP in my Geographic Information Science MS thesis. I am trying to document some of the spatial aspects of the Upland South Folk Cemetery and analize the accuracy of the resulting imagery. I sure wish I could take Dr. James Aber's course in SFAP!

In the near, near future, I will be moving from Chattanooga. I am going to start working toward my PhD at an, as-yet, undetermined school - probably in the Sowuthwest.

Comments

• It is good to see you're on the KISS way too. No RC, no video, just fun.

I also see you like nylon fasteners. Be careful with them, especially in cold weather. For the pan axle and the tripod screw I prefer metal, steel respectively aluminium.
  • Good to see your results Eric. Make sure you join the Kite Aerial Photography group at flickr and share your pics.
  • I don't wish to nitpick a very nicely evolved rig, but you could save even more with 1/16" metal sted 1/8" -- a bit harder to find at the corner hardware store, but it's out there, or at http://onlinemetals.com .

I agree with Peter about nylon -- use it only when it isn't a critical joint; esp don't use it for the pan axle. You can use the wingnuts, just use steel bolts.

welcome, Eric!
  • How 'bout aluminum bolts with the nylon wingnuts? I happen to have some right here. I'll have to try the 1/16" aluminum. So far, I've been buying my building materials from Ace Hardware - except for my pulleys.
  • I agree with Broox about the 1/16". I also buy from Ace and Home Depot. I could never find the 1/16" in just flat. The always have it in 90 degrees though. So I just cut the 90 degree angle and sand it down. It's just a way to avoid buying online or traveling. With the 1/16" you can use a nibbler tool from Radio Shack to nibble slots for a servo. I use a drill first then nibble away. I also nibble to trim sometimes. The 1/16" is more than strong enough.
  • Aluminum bolts would be dandy -- or brass. I just wouldn't trust your whole KAPboodle (!) to the strength/brittleness of nylon.
  • At Lowes I was able to find 1/16" flat aluminum, 1 inch wide and 8 feet long.
  • I just replaced the tilt bolts with aluminum but still have the nylon wingnuts to hold position. I will weld the bolthead to the frame, so the nylon will only help hold position, not actually fasten. I'm going to get out before I fly again and replace the pan-bolt with aluminum or whatever I can find at Ace that seems heartier.

After the discussion here, I started playing with my picavent and camera frame. I realized that the nylon bolt I was using for the pan was flex alot. Considering that this is a single-point of failure, I figure it's best to listen to the advice here and just change it. No sense in losing a camera over a few grams of weight.

I'll post a picture when it's done.
  • edited February 2006
    If it were me, I'd change the pan bolt from nylon to aluminum. All bolts cut to only the length needed, and I even have clipped excess material from nylon wing bolts. Make the frame from 1/16 alluminum. You might get it down to 9 ounces. Cool project, I love ultralights. My first rig was an ultralight at 5.29 ounces,with camera, total weight. http://community.webshots.com/photo/22701470/1024641253014006433XdzcQZIALB