Safety

Use this categories to post questions and advice regarding safety as well as discussions associated with safe KAP practice.

Useful mapping

edited October 2012 in Safety
In the process of updating my tired old web site I wanted to try and provide some simple method of letting kappers know what is going on around them and where they are.
Certainly here in the UK there is the NOTAM info site which gives everything you need to know about what is going on from the surface to the upper flight levels. This site is truly awesome. It has just about every piece of info you need from model rocket range firing to areas of intense air activity. Danger areas, balloon flights, kite flying areas, it's all there.
For some of course it may be taking the fun out of basic kapping and I would agree. However it is, unfortunately, becoming more and more apparent that such homework is needed, especially if you KAP in an area away from home. Despite the grim economic times certainly in my region low level air traffic has increased. There are no doubt many reasons for this and the average kapper will just have to rely on that old favourite, the mark 1 eyeball, oh yes and ear!!

So with that in mind I decided to create what I hope is a simpler solution. A half way house to make the casual kapper a little more aware of some of the issues. So I reveal My Mark 1 Map.
This gives most of the airfield locations in the UK. It is a database so more can be entered such as all the glider fields. There is a sample of 2, 3, 4 mile radii around some of the main airports. Within this radius you are only allowed to fly to 30m (100 feet). This loosely complies with the Air Navigation Order/Rules of the Air (UK) for the definition of "in the vicinity of an aerodrome". I've made it bigger (i.e. 3/4 miles) around larger airports for obvious reasons.
The info windows at present only furnish you with the airfield name and ICAO locator. This hopefully will be expanded to include airfield height, the latest plain language METAR, possibly TAF.
I've used both Google and OS mapping for use here in the UK. You can fade between the 2 types of mapping.

Of course this is all very well when sat in front of a computer screen for planning purposes. So how about in the field. With the advent of mobile devices being used for KAP, why not push some of that info there too. Well IMHO that's fine but you can have too much info. So I've started with just the zone circles around airports/airfields. If you think about it you really only want to know where you are in relation to possible restrictions and the only fixed restriction is an airfield.
So enter the Mobile Zone Map.
The airfield data presently hardcoded in the page but it will be transferred over to a database to make it more manageable. It uses Google's geolocation feature so while it works on desk bound computers it is really for mobiles so you can see where you are in relation to the database info. I'm using Google Maps only here as:-
1. It's simpler (all API v3), should work with iDevices & Android.
2. Anyone can take the code and use it locally for their own info.

If anyone finds the mobile zone map useful then by all means use it. If I get time I'll put up some different country maps as an example. If it is taken up I suppose we could centralize all the info?

CAVEAT : The use of the maps/mapping links above, does not absolve the user from ensuring that he/she flies their kite within the exact rules and regulations of the country they are flying in; including any restrictions that may have been imposed upon them by the regulating authority.

Anyway this is what comes when your bored, you've filled in 95,000 job applications and no-one replies LOL!!!

Peter.

Comments

• Thanks very much for all your efforts and for publishing this Peter. As an occasional Kapper in the UK this is really helpful.
  • Very nice. An added bonus is that it is a good implementation of Google maps sat view including my favourite Streetview. As you may know IOS 6 removed google maps from the iPhone along with streetview and the mobile version of google maps web app didn't implement Streetview. You've given me back one of my favourite map tools! the little man in the corner drags onto the roads to give a full screen Streetview.

Love the idea of this Peter. I can imagine with some local knowledge from KAPpers this can really develop.
    Simon
  • SueSue
    edited October 2012
    There are three glider aerodromes in East Yorkshire not marked in your mobile map. There's also the one just above Kilburn white horse East of Thirsk, which Simon discoverd just after KAPing the chalk horse, was it last year Simon? Where can the info about unmarked airfields be posted?

Fly High

Sue
  • A small private grass strip that I only discovered resently, SK 12121 04490 52.638044,-1.822314 seems to only opportate at the weekends.
  • I am so glad that some you think my time spent has been worthwhile.

@Tony, exactly you just want an idea.

@Simon, thnx, yes I've not upgraded yet following a text from a mate who said "iOS6 don't!!!!" Then I saw all the media hype. This mapping has mileage but I want it to be for all. So while I'll develop the Google/OS map for the UK, I'm on to just having a Google only version for all. What's more it will for the day kapper any where in the world give him/her an idea of a possible height restriction. I'm adapting the base code now and I'm very excited about it if it will work especially on a mobile device.

@Sue & Puffin. This precisely my point. You will never be able to cover all instances but this is just the info I'll need to take it meaningfully forward. So in the next 24hrs I'll post back here with a method of contacting me through the web pages to leave such info.

Thanks again. Peter.

• I have just updated the web site that contains the mapping. There have been a few name changes, data ratification etc etc So, and I know it's a pain in the proverbial but please check any bookmarks you may have made.
    The format and layout will not change now I've sorted some things out.

The main part of the site which is for use is the Maps section which now comprises of
    Map 1
    Geolocation
    About Maps

Map 1 has not changed but with time more will be put into the database behind and hopefully more to come out.

Geolocation: This page has been overhauled and now has the fancy blue pulsing ball that plagues such applications! (But it is very cool how its done ;-)) ) This will tell you your current position and will track you, none of which I can see if that concerns you. Gone for the time being are the fixed markers for aerodromes. These have been replaced with 3 markers of specified radius which comply with the lateral restrictions around types of airports. Please read the About Maps page for details on use.
    I shall be trying to include fixed circles but the code is just getting to messy to be manageable.

In the About Maps pages you will find an on screen page which allows you to Contact Me directly.

I have already produced pages which are based on UK regions so that the moveable markers appear somewhere near where you are. Otherwise you end up hunting around for them.
    I shall extend this to other countries/states with time, if your country ends up getting left off it isn't personal, just drop me a mail where you would like the map centered.

Enjoy, Peter.
  • Ah well, having Google streetview was good while it lasted! The little man is there but works no more.
    Simon
  • @Simon. I'm out at the moment Simon but I know what is wrong. It will be fixed in a couple of hours . Thnx for the feed back. It's a layer/container problem. So he'll be back!!!
    Peter,
  • image I'm back ;-))
  • Very good initiative en very promising site! Thanks for this.

For the Netherlands the relevant info is here in the form of a click-able map and detailed jpegs: http://www.lvnl-ohd.nl/content/bijzondere_activiteiten/en_kabelvliegers/kabelvliegers_map.html

It would be great to have world coverage...
  • @hanselpedia This is good information. I have done a test page Dutch Aerodromes & Low Flying Restrictions. It is not complete yet.

Peter.
  • Nice work!
    Maybe polygons would be good for the airports with non circular zones?
    Is your data format available? If so I could type some zone polygons in my spare time...
  • @hanselpedia I've pm'd you on this site. Peter.
  • edited October 2012
    Apart from the original pages here is the airing for the States. California The plan is to work through all the States. I have a database with some 21,400 airports/fields/helipads for the USA alone. The rest of the world is covered too. It will take about 6 months to complete the base mapping. To start with I'll hop back and forth between the States and Europe to get it off the ground. The navigation on the site will come together in a bit once I've sorted the file logistics out.

Peter.